General Pool Maintenance Tips
- Run pump and filter 24 hours a day; the more you filter and circulate your pool water the less chemicals you will require and you will be less likely to experience water quality problems.
- Adjust jets downwards at a 45 degree angle to create a moving circulation pattern in the pool and away from the skimmer basket.
- Vacuum at regular intervals. Keep pool clean and free of debris such as leaves and other materials.
- Dirt, oil scum, and smog scum must be cleaned regularly from pool’s surface with a tile and vinyl cleaner. The use of enzymes will greatly reduce oils and scum line around pool.
- Regular testing of water parameters and sanitizer are important.
- Tip: Bring water sample to your Pool Professional Retailer every 3 weeks. Inadequate sanitizer levels may cause unsafe water for bathers. PH must be regulated to prevent damage to pool surfaces and to assist sanitizer performance. Smog and rain have a definite effect on pH.
- Understand how to use filter gauge and backwash as required.
- Clean filter sand at least once per season using a filter cleaning product.
- Use a leaf net for seasonal periods of high debris accumulation in pool.
- Repairs, replacement of equipment, and heavier maintenance tasks should be scheduled for the off season when the pool is inactive.
- The heater should be serviced once per season by a licensed gas technician.
- Carefully read instructions for correct dosage and application methods for all chemicals.
- Follow recommended safety guidelines when handling and storing chemicals.